The Internet Society is a global cause-driven organization governed by a diverse Board of Trustees that is dedicated to ensuring that the Internet stays open, transparent and defined by you.
The Internet Society is a global organisation with over 100 organisational and more than 44,000 individual members in over 80 Chapters around the world
Internet Society Gambia Chapter
The ISOC Gambia Chapter launched on 12 May 2012 at an event also celebrating the 20 year anniversary of the Internet Society. The program was organized in conjunction with the African Internet Standards Day, hosted by IETF.
Topics discussed in this initial event included:
- The Communications Sector Policies and Programs
- Gamtel’s ECOWAN Fibre Optic Infrastructure project
- The Evolution of the Internet Business in The Gambia
- The Internet and Software Engineering
- The Internet Society Gambia and its Stakeholder Community
At the foundation of our work are a vision and a mission.
The Internet is for everyone.
To promote the open development, evolution, and use of the Internet for the benefit of all people throughout the world.
To help achieve our mission, the Internet Society:
- Facilitates open development of standards, protocols, administration, and the technical infrastructure of the Internet.
- Supports education in our urban and rural areas specifically, and wherever the need exists.
- Promotes professional development and builds community to foster participation and leadership in areas important to the evolution of the Internet.
- Provides reliable information about the Internet.
- Provides forums for discussion of issues that affect Internet evolution, development and use in technical, commercial, societal, and other contexts.
- Fosters an environment for international cooperation, community, and a culture that enables self-governance to work.
- Serves as a focal point for cooperative efforts to promote the Internet as a positive tool to benefit all people throughout the world.
- Provides management and coordination for on-strategy initiatives and outreach efforts in humanitarian, educational, societal, and other contexts.